In 2010, Dutch financial services company AEGON migrated with 3800 workplaces and 250+ applications to Windows Vista and Office 2007. What made this migration so special, was its turnaround: the project was carried out within 6 months; within budget and within planning. Although the project was already on its way, the cooperation with Login Consultants was crucial to its success. Because of that, AEGON decided to write down the case and share it with the world.
Like many organizations of a considerable size and complexity have experienced, performing such a migration without any worries is almost impossible. It was clear that unexpected issues would arise until the very end.
The most important lessons learned:
1. Recognize what a desktop migration implies
2. Take users and the business as a starting point
3. Create an intensive cooperation between several business departments and IT
4. Keep tight control
5. Keep a clear eye on ‘sense of urgency’; emphasize governance and support
6. Have your pro’s with the right expertise control the project
7. Combine a solution oriented approach with analytical skills and challenge certainties
8. Control current information and data streams (tooling)
The entire case is written down in this booklet, which is, unfortunately, only available in Dutch.